About Me
Dana Glover
North Carolina

A 30-something married full-time mother of 2, part-time stepmom of 3; trying to find treasures I've lost along the way.

My complete profile

Links
a girl and a boy
Confessions of a City Gal
Debaucherous and Dishevelled
all & sundry
Not So Simple
Private Thoughts of Boogie's Mom
Broken Biscuits
Notes from the Trenches
Motherhood is Not for Wimps
being emily
Princesses, Dogs, and Chaos
The Food Whore

Photos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dwglover6. Make your own badge here.

Previous Posts
As the World Turns .... Over
Love Lost
Take 2: A Shot in the Dark

Archives
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
January 2008

Credits
Blog Design By:


Powered By:

Thursday, January 12, 2006
My Traveling Companions


Since this blog will be focused on my daily life, I should introduce you to my frequent traveling companions so that they will not seem like random strangers (although they are to you).

I will be referring to my co-driver (husband) as Ed. I would use his real name but he detests the idea of a personal blog. Ed and I are quickly approaching our 2nd wedding anniversary and have recently celebrated 3 years of being "together". The story of how we met is quite boring, but the fact that we didn't like each other (actually, he says he "HATED" me) in the beginning does add a bit of intrigue. I believe the dislike eventually grew into a mutual tolerance of one another and as we each let our guard down we began to sense an attraction that shocked, threatened and overwhelmed us. Once we acknowledged the attraction we made the decision to embrace it with everything we had ... and here we are. To most people (and sometimes ourselves) we appear to be quite different from one another. Ed is very much a country boy ---- drives small pickup truck with huge tires and a 20 foot tall antenna; believes hunting is a lifestyle and not just a hobby; insists on displaying a dead buck's head on our living room wall; talks with such a Southern drawl that even I sometimes need a translator; and describes in great detail how to slaughter a hog to prepare it for a pig pickin'. Now, I'm a country girl by birth, so I knew what I was getting into. However, I'm a city girl at heart! Ed prefers a cabin in the mountains; I want a skyscraper hotel in New York City. Ed prefers country ham, homemade biscuits and eggs fried over easy; I order escargot, filet mignon (medium rare) and flan. You get the picture. Beyond the obvious differences, we understand what is important to each other and to our family. He may not understand how I can eat snails, but he understands how his strong arms around me makes me feel safe and protected and I NEED that. He indulges my insatiable need for affection -- physical and emotional. He doesn't tease me about not erasing his love notes written in dry erase marker from our mirror. And when I subtly suggest that a trip to our favorite beach would be nice ... he makes it happen. We both have a healthy fear of losing one another, but my love has absolutely nothing to fear. He is my navigator for life.

I know -- a bit sappy. So I'll move along to the two fellows riding along with us. First is CJ, my tender-hearted, artistic four year old (obviously from a previous marriage if you figure up the math!). CJ is my laid-back, mischievous son who has taught me the joy of coloring books and making up insane stories. He showers me with hugs, kisses and an almost hourly "I love you, Mommy". CJ is also the little fellow that taught me what true terror is when he was put in Neonatal Intensive Care just hours after being born and then again when he was hospitalized at 3 months with pneumonia (it was in the middle of July for God's sake!!). The thought of losing this precious gift was more than I could possibly bear ... and he has truly made me a strong woman! He has the look of a cherub with his mess of blonde curls and heart melting dimples and a soul of one as well when he can pick out birthday presents at Toys'r'Us for his siblings and not ONCE ask for something for himself.

And now to the little fellow that has me embracing a life I never, ever imagined and even swore I would never do --- be a stay-at-home mom. Hunterman is our 16 month old "hell on wheels". His luminous blue eyes and strawberry blonde, wild curls lulls one into a false sense of serenity. This child has the energy of 3,000 wild ponies and he has NO FEAR whatsoever. I am also convinced that he has the highest pain tolerance of any human being and should be studied by the National Institute of Health for his ability to laugh in the face of injury or pain. He also amazes me each day with his intelligence. At 15 months we taught him to put trash in the trash can ... 1 day later he picks up his own soiled diaper and marches it straight to the trash can without being prompted and then rewards himself by clapping. After his 15 month checkup, I was embarrassed when I had to admit to his pediatrician that I had not even attempted to teach Hunterman the names of any of his body parts. She tried to reassure me by stating that it would be more of a concern if he could not identify at least 3 of his body parts by his 18-month check-up. Trying to make up for my complete and utter failure as a mother, I immediately pointed to my nose and then to Hunterman's nose while slowly saying, Nnnnn oooooo ssssss eeeee. I took Hunterman's little finger and placed it on his own nose again while saying NNNNNNNN oooooooo sssssss eeeeee. Hunterman just gazed at me as if I were that Gollem creature in Lord of the Rings. I then had the gall to ask him to show Mommy his nose .... and he did while snorting and sniffing and laughing at me.

Both of my back-seat drivers and my steadfast co-pilot have brought me more joy than I ever believed possible and I cannot wait to see where our journey will take us all.


Dana
posted at 1:58 PM
0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home